5.24.2011

Mason Jar Makeover

I have a problem.  I love jars.  In fact, I can't help but buy jars every time I seem them in the thrift store, antique mall or garage sale.  I don't do a ton of canning or anything - although that's one of my aspirations in life, to become a self-sufficient gardener who cans everything.  And I think I officially have too many.

So I decided I needed to come up with a project for all these jars, and maybe even give some away as gifts (sniff.)  This is what I came up with.
Wouldn't you like to get a fancy jar full of flowers like this one?  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind.
I bet they'd also be cute table centerpieces for a garden tea party...

It's super easy.  Here's what you do:

Mason Jar Makeover

You will need:
Pint size mason jar
Glossy Mod Podge
Foam paint brush
Vintage Newsprint, sheet music, book pages, etc.
Ribbon or twine
Directions:
Make sure the mason jar is clean and dry.  Tear the vintage paper into shreds - the size and shapes are entirely up to you.  If they're too big, there will be wrinkles when you adhere them, but that can be charming...

Dip your paint brush into the Mod Podge and paint a little on the jar.  Stick your first shred of paper in place and smooth over the top with your paint brush and more Mod Podge, to get out all the bubbles and wrinkles.  Wipe any excess away with a paper towel, but it should be saturated enough to stick well to the jar.


Continue adhering strips to the jar to cover the main body.  Place strips right up below the lip of the jar.  This part will eventually be covered with ribbon, so don't worry too much about being perfectly even.  Cover the bottom if you like, but I prefer to leave it uncovered.  It won't stick to the table as much that way when all is said and done.

Make sure the paper is stuck well to the jar - use a second coat of Mod Podge if needed.  Let dry.  Tie ribbon, twine, lace, etc. right under the lip of the jar.  Add a tag if you'd like.  Fill with pretty flowers and let somebody know how special they are.

4 comments:

  1. great DIY! i have quite a few jars around the house that could use some sprucing up. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great and very inspiring! I love your birdcage veil giveaway as well!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Do Come and enter my Great Giveaway from Serena & Lily! Ends today the 25th at 12 am EST

    You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They're beautiful!! I would certainly love to receive flowers in one of those jars.

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous in your post. Any inappropriate or insensitive comments will of course be deleted.